TEACHING ARTIST OPPORTUNITY
Free Street Theater is seeking a Teaching Artist to work 10-15 hours per week with its resident youth ensemble at Pulaski Park. We are looking for an individual who believes in using theatre to build community around social justice issues to co-facilitate a program with artists and activists ages 13-19.
About Free Street Theater
Founded in 1969 by Patrick Henry, Free Street Theater is dedicated to creating performance by, for, and with a wide-range of participants. As one of the first racially-integrated theater companies in Chicago, Free Street has a long history of creating work that addresses pressing social issues from diverse points of view. We are committed to work that builds community, promotes critical inquiry, and approaches complex social issues with humor and compassion.
The Teaching Artist will work with young artists enrolled in our school year program that meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4:00-7:00 and Saturdays from 10:00-2:00, with an additional two hours of prep/meeting time TBD. Each year, the participants in the ensemble select a topic for extended inquiry, and spend the year building an original show that engages that topic. Throughout the course of the program, students develop research, writing, and performance skills.
The responsibilities of this position include:
• Co-facilitating rehearsals and workshops
• Mentoring artists enrolled in the program
• Serving as liaison to community partners
• Maintaining attendance records and related participant paperwork
• Co-developing the show in collaboration with ensemble and Artistic Director
• Assisting with daily set-up and clean-up
• Must be 21 or older
• Experience facilitating writing and performance workshops with youth and diverse populations
• Open to exploring multiple points of view
• Expertise in at least one of the following preferred: ensemble creation/devising, technical theater/special effects, directing, or playwriting.
• Candidates with a history of community organizing or activism will be given particular consideration.
• Must be willing to undergo fingerprint background checks administered by The Chicago Park District and Afterschool Matters.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and a resume to Free Street’s Artistic Director Coya Paz at coyapaz at gmail dot com